Tuesday, January 18, 2011

humbled

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile now.
I'm sorry it took so long.


Several months ago, I was driving to an orphanage with one of the kitchen helpers from the school at which I work. We just had a year end party in school and we had such kind and giving parents that at the end of the day, we ended up with boxes and boxes of cakes uneaten, so we decided to give them to kids who aren't as lucky as our students. During the drive, I made conversation with the kitchen helper, Janet, asking her about her family. After awhile, I ran out of things to ask and we fell silent. Janet then started asking me about the home we were going to. At some point she said "I didn't know there was one here," which led me to ask her if she's been to the ones elsewhere.

From there, I found out that, yes, she has. In fact, she does it on a weekly basis. More than that, she told me that she goes to give food or diapers and when she can't afford it, she just helps out. I swear to God, I wanted to cry.

You see, at the risk of sounding conceited and obnoxious, I've always considered myself as a "nice" person--nice enough to be considered charitable, at least. That day, Janet gave me a huge figurative slap on my face. Here she is, a woman who makes just enough to support herself, her medical fees (she's ill with something that requires a visit to the doctor every couple of weeks) and her little brothers who are still in school, and she still makes it a point to give back. And me, with all my privileges, luxury, and time, and what do I do with it?

I waste it.

That day I was humbled. And it made me promise myself, if not to be as charitable as possible, to at least give when I can, to not take what I have that others don't for granted, and to be grateful, always.

I hope I will keep improving on this, InsyAllah.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com